"Charming, charming, charming...." The New York Daily News
Maitland Repertory Theatre is proud to present a Newcastle Theatre Company Touring Production of
84 Charing Cross Road
by Helene Hanff, adapted by James Roose-Evans
Director: Jo Cooper
September 15 to 26 Dates: To be advised
When Helene Hanff, a New York script-reader sees an ad in the Saturday Review of Literature for a bookstore in London that does mail order, she writes to see if they can help with her “antiquarian taste in books.” So begins a twenty year relationship. The story of this charming correspondence is told in the play 84 Charing Cross Road.
At first the letters are between Helene and the bookshop manager Frank Doel. But their warmth and humour, along with the generous gifts of food parcels, sent when Helene finds out that England is still under rationing, soon endear Helene to the entire staff and their families. Through the letters we get to join in with the big events like the coronation as well as the small, such as how to make Yorkshire pudding. Of course we also follow Helene’s dreams of one day seeing “the England of English literature”.
Helene Hanff published their correspondence after Frank died and 84 Charing Cross Road is her most famous book.
Approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes including a 20 minute interval.
$25 (full), $20 (concession)
Group Concessions 10+: $20
Special discounts for large groups over 20 – contact email@example.com for more details
We accept Dine and Discover Vouchers - call 0466 332 766 (10am - 2pm daily) to book using your voucher.
Bookings are open and you can book online or call 0466 332 766 (10 - 2 daily).
Aimée Cavanagh - Helene
Stewart McGowan - Frank
Jack Madden - Bill Humphries
Ann-Maree Day - Maxine Stuart
Bronte Fegan - Cecily Farr
Sam Rogers - Megan Wells
Robert Comber - George Martin
Imogen Cooper - Imogen Thomas
To be advised
By arrangement with ORiGiNTM Theatrical, on behalf of Samuel French
A Concord Theatricals Company
COVID Safe Conditions of Entry
The safety of our community is of paramount importance. We have put measures in place to prioritise the health and well-being of everyone.
All visitors must wear a face mask, check in with our QR Code (we can assist) and are asked to sanitise their hands on arrival and exercise proper physical distancing while on site.
You are not permitted to enter Maitland Repertory Theatre if you:
- are experiencing any flu-like symptoms (sore throat, runny nose, persistent cough, shortness of breath, fever)
- have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 (during the period of time in which the virus is contagious)
- are awaiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- reside with anyone who is awaiting the results of a test for COVID-19
- have visited a designated COVID-19 hot spot and failed to observe the government requirement to quarantine for 14 days
- have returned from international travel and failed to observe the government requirement to quarantine for 14 days